Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Beer and Skittles

Tuesday, April seventeenth, two thousand and seven

I saw an interesting English idiom on a email newsletter that I often read on my cell phone. The sample sentence says, "Married life isn't all beer and skittles." Must be true! I absolutely agree with it without doubt! :) I don't know why the idiom means "not all fun", though. According to my English-Japanese dictionary, it's one of famous British idioms. I guess it derives from a kind of games, "skittle". Anyway, it could be impossible for us to be a well-rounded couple. (^^; Whenever I make a scene after drinking too much, my wife forces me to sign a divorce paper. actually... haha. Just pulling your leg. (^_-)-☆


not all beer and skittles: 楽しいことばかりではない
derive from something: ~に由来する
well-rounded couple: 円満なカップル(夫婦円満)
make a scene: 醜態をさらす、大騒ぎする

No comments: