Sunday, July 30, 2006

Take TOEIC test

July 30th, 2006

Some of my friends are going to take various tests anytime soon - such as a test to enter graduate schools, a test for the qualification to look after challenged people. They motivate my intentions a lot. Their motivation may be what makes me tick. Plus I think I have become more confident when it comes to having a chat in English.
I've written on this blog space before that the purpose of my English study isn't to get a good score of exams, but I've just got interested in taking English tests. You know, TOEIC is the most famous one in Japan(in the world?), so I've just decided to take it next month. My English school give a discount to their students when they take it. The service is called "TOEIC IP test". I can take it cheaper! IP... stands for "Internet Protocol"??? Of course NOT! I usually guess IP stands for "Internet Protocol", "Instruction Pointer register" in intel 8086 processors, or "Image processor" because of my previous job, computer system engineer. haha. In this case, IP is the abbreviation of "Institutional Program", according to the TOEIC web site. I'm going to take it next month....maybe. :-p
Either way, I intend to take it without any preparation in order to measure my real English skills. In my case, it's no use getting a good score with hard study, as the purpose I study English is to have a lot of good communication.
There're nothing to lose. I'll give it a go! Ummm.. I'm too cool. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

There were many international graduate students at my university, and most had to take a test (maybe it was the TOEIC?) to gain admission. We joked that they could achieve very high scores but couldn't order a Big Mac at McDonalds. Basically, they can pass tests, but their score is meaningless because they cannot communicate in English. Therefore, I think you are correct in wanting to learn how to communicate rather than how to pass tests!

Take care.

plow7010 said...

Hey jd,

Thanks for your understanding my words. They cannnot order a Big Mac at Mickey D's???? I can't believe it. They have to practice a lot in real situation, I suppose.

P.S.
I've heard before that "Mickey D's is an American slang word for Mcdonald's.

Anonymous said...

hey nice blog you have here, its been ages since I found one so interesting. Take a look at mine if you like?quantum hard drive