Sunday, July 23, 2006

[ Study ] Getting help from strangers

The following is a kind of simulation for my review of the English lessons I've taken before.

- Getting help from strangers
* What might you have to ask a stranger to help you with?

(They are talking in Osaka, Japan.)
A: Excuse me, but ... I was wondering if I could use your cell phone. It's just that I need to make an urgent phone call to my wife.
B: Well... Why don't you use yours?
A: The battery of mine seems to run out. Would that be OK with you?
B: Maybe OK, but ... Could I possibly ask you a question?
A: Of course.
B: I'd like to know where your wife lives.
A: Ah.....
B: What's wrong? Is there any problem?
A: Actually... My wife live in the U.S.A.....
B: Sorry. I absolutely can't help you! BYE NOW!
A: (I should have told him that my wife lived in Osaka....)

*New Words

hesitate : [intransitive] to pause before saying or doing something because you are nervous or not sure
pharmacy : chemist(British)
prescription [noun] : a piece of paper on which a doctor writes what medicine a sick person should have, so that they can get it from a pharmacist [prescribe]
convince [transitive] : to make someone feel certain that something is true
interact [intransitive] : if people interact with each other, they talk to each other, work together etc. [interact with someone or something]
awkward [adj] : making you feel embarrassed so that you are not sure what to do or say [=difficult]
untie [transitive] : to take the knots out of something, or unfasten something that has been tied

*Others(Tips etc.)

Could I -> couldai
Would I -> Woodai
How convenient!
drag store : used in the USA ONLY
have got = have ex)I've only got a ten dollars on me. Sorry. ex2)I've got to = I have to

| |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»