Friday, July 14, 2006

Persistence pays off

July 14th, 2006

I restarted studying English last April, so one year and a few months passed already. Some teachers sometimes tell me my skills become much better. I'm so glad to hear that, of course. But that might be kind of flattery(お世辞 oseji). Can I say "Flattery will get you nowhere." ? Anyway, I received the compliments directly at that time. :)

And now, I'd like to introduce a Japanese proverb today. It's "継続は力なり(keizoku wa chikara nali)", literally translating to "Continuation is power." According to some web sites, it means in English like this - "Persistence pays off. So don't give up. Just keep trying."
I'm already on the wrong side of 40; however, I'll keep going as much as possible.

By the way, I don't understand why the phrase "on the wrong side of" means "over". I'll ask my teacher the question tomorrow...

P.S.
Let me indicate new words in bold letters from now on, which I'd like to memorize.

| |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»