Monday, July 17, 2006

[ Study ] Talking about exciting sports

The following is a kind of simulation for my review of the English lessons I've taken before.

- Talking about exciting sports
* Have you ever tried an exciting sport? Which sports would you like to try?

A: Do you like summer sports?
B: Yes, in a way, I prefer winter sports nowadays.
A: Do you? Why is that?
B: Actually, I'm really worried about not only getting bald but also getting fat. So I don't show anyone my naked body and my hair wet, which is as thin as my wallet.
A: Oh, come on! Don't worry about those things. By the way, why is it OK for you to do winter sports?
B: Because I can have on a lot of clothes and a hat or a helmet in order to hide my ashamed parts.
A: ha-ha... ROFL. But I can't stand cold weather. Maybe I can't make it if you ask me to do the sports together - such as skiing, snowboarding. I love summer sports - such as scuba diving and paragliding.
B: Aren't afraid of heights and water?
A: No. I don't mind them. Have you ever tried them?
B: No never. I'm not afraid of heights, either. So I've tried bungee jumping several times. Would you like to try it?
A: No, not really.
B: Why not?
A: To tell the truth..... I'm worried about getting bald as you.
B: Heeey, you don't look getting bald. And also, what relations are there between getting bald and bungee jumping?
A: Actually... I'm really worried about coming off my WIG due to the strong wind when bungee jumping!
B: Wow! You're wearing a WIG! I've never noticed that for a long time!
A: But the wig is super great. It's OK to get soaked.
B: Awesome! I was wondering if you could tell me where I can buy the one. And then I'd like to do summer sports with you, Mr. m(_ _)m
A: That's more like it! (^o^)/


* New Words

snap : to break with a sudden sharp noise, or to make something break with a sudden sharp noise
encourage : to give someone the courage or confidence to do something
trapeze : a short bar hanging from two ropes high above the ground, used by acrobats
disposal : when you get rid of something (ex.)bomb disposal experts
quadruple : four times as big or as many
somersault : a movement in which someone rolls or jumps forwards or backwards so that their feet go over their head before they stand up again
plunge : to move, fall, or be thrown suddenly forwards or downwards
spectator : someone who is watching an event or game
despite = in spite of
death-defying : a death-defying action is very dangerous
cage : a structure made of wires or bars in which birds or animals can be kept
blow : an action or event that causes difficulty or sadness for someone (ex.)body blow
senseless : happening or done for no good reason or with no purpose
swallow : to make food or drink go down your throat and towards your stomach
regain : to get something back, especially an ability or quality, that you have lost [= recover]
overall : considering or including everything
landmine : a bomb hidden in the ground that explodes when someone walks or drives over it
grenade : a small bomb that can be thrown by hand or fired from a gun
glamorous : attractive, exciting, and related to wealth and success
assessment : a process in which you make a judgment about a person or situation, or the judgment you make
seasick : feeling ill when you travel in a boat, because of the movement of the boat in the water
glide : to move smoothly and quietly, as if without effort
bounce: if a ball or other object bounces, or you bounce it, it immediately moves up or away from a surface after hitting it

* Others(Tips etc.)

some similar phrases(be scared of, be terrified of, be afraid of)
S+(be willing to)+do : It's OK for S to do and S don't have no reason to not want to do it.
I could never do it. -> I cou neva do it.
Better you than me. : You are better than me.
when it's over : when it finishes
You're as white as a sheet = extremely pale

| |

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»