Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Like father, like son

July 5th, 2006

Yesterday I posted the good result of my eldest son's English test. After that I found out an English idiom, "Like father, like son."
Sounds nice! My eldest son got a good score on his English test, and also I'm good at speaking English.... No, no.. I'm not so good at it. I can speak it after a fashion. :)

There are some similar idioms in Japan. They are "蛙の子は蛙(かえるのこは、かえる kaeru no ko wa kaeru)" and "この親にして、この子あり(このおやにして、このこあり kono oya nisite konoko ali)", which mean that any behavior of children tends to resemble the one of their parents maybe.

I'm so lucky! I've just been able to study the idiom thanks to my eldest son! Thank you, son! :) Anyway let me keep teaching him English even though my English skill is awful. (^o^) In addition, I have to study harder not to lose to him in English study. He's sort of my rival from now on.

By the way, I saw another English idiom on an email newsletter, "put one's foot down". According to my dictionary, the idiom has 2 meaning. One of them is "speed up", and the other one is "refuse firmly".
I guess my wife's mother must be stubborn, because she always puts her foot down about anything I want to do and insists on her strict opinion. Like mother, like daughter. :)

| | |

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you are humble when you talk about your English ability, but you really do a great job. I'm glad that your son is doing well in his studies too.

By the way:
In English,
"wife's mother" = mother-in-law
"wife's father" = father-in-law

Another saying you might like:
"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" (somewhat same meaning as "like father, like son").

For instance:

Speaker A: That child is so rude
Speaker B: Well, I guess he learned it from his mother.
Speaker A: I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree then!

plow7010 said...

Hi jd,
Ah! I know the words, "mother-in-law" and "faher-in-law", but I didn't write this article with those words. That's a proof that I'm still a low level English learner. :)
I might be too humble as you say. It's kind of my habit. Japanese people tend to be humble like me when they talk about themselves. Of course, it depends on the situation if they are humble or not. Thanks for your insight! I've never heard of that before.(The apple...)
And also I've just come up with(conceived of ?) some new ideas of my blog thanks to you. Let me post it later. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»