Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Manner an Manners

Tuesday, June fifth, two thousand and seven

newspaperI hadn't known the difference between "manner" and "manners" until I read this week's newspaper issued for English study. I'm so ashamed of my lack of knowledge. When the word is used as a singular, it means similar to "way". But on the other hand, when it's used as a plural, it means similar to "behavior" as far as I've understood.

I've actually subscribed to a newspaper published by The Japan Times, Ltd. since this week. The paper teaches me a lot of new knowledge, therefore I would be able to learn much more from now on. But most of the contents seem to be more than I can handle. haha. Since I can bring it everywhere easily, I expect that I can kill time with it anyway and ask my teachers about the articles from now as well. Let me give them the third degree! (^^;


"quotes from LONGMAN Dictionary of Contemporary English"
give somebody the third degree:(informal) to ask someone a lot of questions in order to get information from them

No comments: