Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Wrinkles

February 15, 2006

There are no wrinkles on (the surface of) one's brains.
(脳みそにしわが無い。)
(のうみそにしわがない。Noumiso ni siwa ga nai.)

Do you understand what I mean ? It's a Japanese common saying and means "stupid." It's similar to the slang word, "airhead", I think. Sorry to post such a filthy(rude or dirty) slang word. :-)
In Japan, it's said that the wrinkles on brains make people smart and clever. So if there were no wrinkles on someone's brains, the person would be unsmart. Of course there never are such people, though. :-p

I actually heard from a Japanese female student on the last English free conversation class that she's always worried about her crow's feet(the wrinkles/lines/creases at the outer corners of her eyes) though she's so young. I came up with the idea of posting this article then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

Thanks for writing the idiom in hiragana! It is very neat.

A ruder way to say someone is stupid is to call them a "dumbass" (rude), or even say that have "shit for brains" (very rude). But don't use these unless you are very mad... hahaha.

Also, I hope you received much chocolate from your wife for Valentine's Day!

plow7010 said...

Hi jd,

Thanks for your often visiting. (I'm afraid I don't know if the sentence is correct...)
I've never heard those rude words, especially "dumbass". I can imagine the meaning of the word "shit for brains". Sounds exactly so rude ! haha.

Yeah, I received a box of chocolates from her. haha.
You seem to know so much about Valentine's Day of Japan. It sort of looks like a plot(a strategy) planned by candy stores(sweet shops). And also, Someone told me that having no cut sushi rolls on Setsubun is definitely a plot planned by sushi shops !