Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sukiyaki party

February 19, 2006

I had a sukiyaki(すき焼き, すきやき) party with my friends, their families, and my family at home yesterday as the following pictures.

beef cooking sukiyaki
sukiyaki my friends
my friends, my wife and me my friends and me

They really look delicious, right ? :-)
One of my friends lives in Kobe, so he brought some kobe beef, very expensive beef in Japan, for the party. Exactly delicious ! I had a super great time ! I'm very lucky to have such a nice friend.

I'm kind of a strange Japanese, so I spoke to my friends and their families in English when they got to my house, though, all today's guests are native Japanese speakers. :-p

I spoke to them:
Hello, you guys ! Long time no see ! How have you been ? Oh, I heard from you that your daughter, Miki-chan, was sick yesterday. Hi, Miki-chan ! Are you OK now ? Are you feeling better ? You fine ? Sounds good ! Come on in and let's have sukiyaki !

They laughed out and rolled their eyes. haha.

By the way, I know another meaning of the word "beef" and the meaning of "beefy". Since I ate a lot of beef last evening, I would be much beefier ! I actually want to be a "beef".
"a beef" - a slang word that means "a guy who has a lot of muscle(brawn)".

In addition, I've ever learned the following phrases before.
Those are sort of my practice:
Actually, I'd rather have yakiniku(焼肉, やきにく), which means "Korean barbecued beef", than sukiyaki.
I prefer steak to(rather than) sukiyaki.
I'd prefer not to have the sukiyaki that cooked by using chicken instead of beef.

(I would often have it when I was a little child, because beef used to be one of the most expensive foods in those days. So my mother had used chicken instead of beef sometimes when she cooked sukiyaki.)

Today I had to take some English lessons even though I had a hangover(二日酔い, ふつかよい). :-p

| |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

Interesting photo story. I have never heard about this tradition.

By the way,

In the United States, "a beef" is to hold a grudge with someone/ be aggresive/ to have a fight (beef can be used as a noun or verb).

"Beefcake" is a slang word that means a guy that is very muscular and not that smart (because he spends all his time at the gym). Calling someone a beefcake is not a compliment (negative meaning!).

plow7010 said...

Hi jd again,

Wow ! The slang word "beef" has negative meaning ! In addition, "beefcake" likewise !
I've guessed wrong until now ! Good to know !