Friday, February 03, 2006

Setsubun, an idiom

February 3, 2006

Do you know what day it is today ? It's Setsubun in Japan, which means the day between 2 seasons in Japanese. I think it's probably the lunar calendar last day of winter today.
Bean-throwing ceremony, which is called "mame-maki" in Japan, is done at home on the night of Setsubun. Japanese people scatter roasted soybeans inside and outside their houses in order to drive demons away and to bring them good fortune with shouts, "Fortune in, devils out." Then they eat the same number of beans as their age and wish for good health... Oops ! I have to eat 43 beans ! Too many ! Bean is "mame" in Japanese, and I've heard it also means "good health" before.
And also, they have some grilled sardines on Setsubun. Then they decorate the heads of sardines on the doorway of their house in order to ward off evil spirits. But many Japanese people don't decorate them nowadays because looks a little dirty.
In addition, nowadays they eat some not cut sushi rolls on Setsubun with turning their heads toward a lucky direction, which changes every year.

Ah ! I cannot explain this Japanese culture smoothly due to my poor English skill ! I have to look up lots of words in my dictionary ! I'm always irritated about my poor skill when I cannot explain my opinions in English !

By the way, I've just studied a new idiom, "wouldn't hurt a fly", which means "very gentle".
For example, "He is a nice guy; he wouldn't hurt a fly."
It sounds like a Japanese idiom ! Japanese people say, "wouldn't even kill a bug." - "Mushi mo korosanai(虫も殺さない - むしもころさない)." Very similar !
For example, "My wife looks never killing a bug, but she is really strict with me." haha... Does anyone knows my wife agree with my opinion ? :-p

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi again,

I did not know about this festival... interesting.

more information here in English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setsubun

and Japanese:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%AF%80%E5%88%86

plow7010 said...

Hi, jd.

Good to know. Actually, I know the web pages but I wanted to explain with my own words by way of practice.
You're always kind to me ! Thanks again !