Sunday, February 12, 2006

Lessons

February 12, 2006


my daughter and her pianoMy daughter often practices her playing the piano at home. It sounds tender and sweat to me. And the figure definitely looks so cute. And she's actually a considerate girl, I think. She always kisses me before I go to work and before she goes to bed. haha...
She usually takes some piano lessons at a piano school in front of the nearest station from my house on Monday evening. Many of Japanese girls take piano lessons since they are little. I don't know if it's common in the world.

By the way, I'm luckily and unusually fine today ! Actually, I'm always extreme tired due to the hard working at our factory. But I'm so fine today because I was able to take a catnap this afternoon after a long time. In my case, taking a nap is a good way to keep my health. On the other hand, it sounds rude to often take a nap, right ? :-) Since I occasionally take it, I've just noticed that I'm not rude. :-p

I've just studied some new words on today's regular lesson. I challenged a high level lesson because the staff of the English school that I usually take some lessons recommended me to take it. It was too difficult for me ! But it was amusing. :-) What ? You ask, "Why was it amusing even though it was too difficult ?", don't you ? The reason is very simple. I could take it with 2 nice women.... That's why it was amusing. haha... Just kidding. :-)

Today's new words:

impatient
inconsiderate
greedy
disrespectful
individualistic
spirituality
isolated incident

I can imagine the meanings of some words - such as "impatient" and "disrespectful". Because I know the meanings of "patient" and "respect".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, good job with your English. Just remember to be patient. Just stopped by and read some of your posts and decided to say hi.

plow7010 said...

Hi.
Thanks for your posting a comment.
I really wanna be patient because I sometimes get in trouble with my family due to my short temper.
See ya.

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

This might help with English words:

Here are useful elements to memorize:
http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/KSD/MA/resources/greek_and_latin_roots/transition.html


"prefixes" and "suffixes" in words are somewhat similar to "radicals" of kanji http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa070101a.htm)


For instance,

the prefix "dis" in "DISrespectful" means "not" so the word "disrespectful" means not respectful.

the prefix "im" in "IMpatient" again means "not" or "without"

so "impatient" means not patient!

the prefix "in" in "inconsiderate" again means "not" or "without"

so "inconsiderate" means not considerate.

You can try to guess the meanings of words by using prefixes,bases, and suffixes, but it does not always work. Sometimes, you just have to know the meaning of the word! Many English words are derived from Latin (spoken by the ancient Romans) and Greek.

plow7010 said...

Hi jd.

Wow ! You're really diligent ! You know so much the radicals of kanji.
And thank you for your description ! All of them are so useful for me.
I know some prefixes and suffixes - such as "ful" and "ly". Some adjectives have the suffix "ful" and some adverbs have the suffix "ly", right ?

By the way, I've ever heard the word "instance", which you've just written on your comment, when I was a computer programmer. The word is probably used in object oriented programming.

Anonymous said...

Hey Plow,

-ful can indicate an adjective ("playful")

-ly can indicate an adverb ("rarely")

-ness can indicate a noun

Example:

thoughtFUL (adjective)--> thoughtfulNESS (noun)

These "markers" do not always work to make nouns and adjectives.

Also,

For instance = For example

In the United States, many computer science majors have to look for work elsewhere. Much of the computer work has been "outsourced" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outsourcing)to India (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India)

Maybe "outsourced" is a new word?

plow7010 said...

Hi id,

Yeah, I know the "markers". Thanks a lot. But I haven't known the word "for instance". Sounds cool.
I've ever heard the word "oursourced" when I was a computer system enginner. We would often outsource some computer work to India and China. It's common. In Japanese language, "oursourcing" is "外注(がいちゅう-gaicyuu)". And also you can say "アウトソーシング(あうとそーしんぐ)" to business people. There're so many katakana English in Japan. :-)