Saturday, January 14, 2006

Kinds of crab

January 14, 2006

Today I took some English lessons today at the school which I usually take them. I told an American teacher that I bought some queen crabs the day before yesterday from one of my friends, who got to know each other on mixi, which is the most popular SNS in Japan. (SNS stands for Social Networking Site.)
But he wasn't able to understand what I said because he's never heard the word "queen crabs" before. In the USA, they say "snow crabs" instead of saying "queen crabs".

Queen crabs and snow crabs are called Zuwaigani in Japanese. But they are also called Echizengani or Matsubagani. It depends on the locality to call them which one.
And also king crabs are called Tarabagani in Japan.

By the way, let me tell you a kind of joke. :-)

Do you know blue crabs, which are called Watarigani in Japanese ? They are sometimes called swimming crabs. On the other hand, my children usually take some swimming lessons at a swimming club on Saturday. Well, it's difficult for me to pronounce correctly any English words. So I'm always worried about my mistakes - such as "My children often take some swimming lessons at a swimming crab." What ? That sounds too funny ! :-p

The photos of king crabs
The photos of snow crabs
The photos of blue crabs

No comments: