Monday, January 09, 2006

Birthday, Ebessan

January 9, 2006

It's my 43rd birthday today. I've got old.... But I think I'm still a young man. he-he.
In Japan, it's also a national holiday, Coming-of-Age Day. It celebrates young people who have just reached the age of 20 as new members of society. In Japan, from the age of 20, people have the right to vote, drink alcohol, and smoke. Actually, Japanese government, in 2000, changed this holiday to the second Monday of January so that people can have a long weekend. So my birthday isn't always the same day as Coming-of-Age Day. :-)

Shito shrineShito shrineShito shrine








Shito altarAnd also, in Osaka, the days from January 9 to 11 are called "The Days of Ebessan". "Ebessan" is a Shinto god for business, so lots of Osaka people go to Shinto shrines in order to pray for their success in business. Of course I went to the Shinto shrine which is in my hometown, too. Most of the visitors buy a lucky charm made of bamboo, then decorate it on their household Shinto altar.
If you can access web sites written in Japanese, please click the following link.

IMAMIYA EBISU Shinto shrine in Osaka city - a very famous Shinto shrine.

No comments: