Wednesday, April 05, 2006

[ Study ] - Discussing fears and phobias

The following is a kind of the simulation for my review of the English lessons I've taken before.

- Discussing fears and phobias

I don't really like going to the barber's. I have an terrifying experience. The barber made a terrible mistake when he was shaving my beard. He cut my face ! I was bleeding a lot !
My wife can't stand being in a car for a long time.
I'm absolutely terrified of my wife. Can I say I have terrible wifephobia ? :-p
I'm so scared of snakes.
It makes me nervous just thinking about working for a computer system company. That's why I quit my former job.
I get dizzy if I stand on the top of building.
The sound of police cars scares me. It really send chills down my spine !

* New Words

dizzy
faint
pound
shore
confined space
phobia
leech
bleeding
blood-letting
diabetes
amnesia
presbyopia = old sight
injection
reptile
make sure = confirm, check
horrify
have a shot
send chills down one's spine
hysterical

* Others(Tips etc.)

I get a bit nervous when I am with so many beautiful women.
I guess I'm a bit nervous about speaking English.
My eldest son often bothers me.
My daughter doesn't bother me.
I don't mind making presentations in front of so many people. Because I would often make them at many exhibitions - such as Chiba Makuhari Messe and Tokyo Big Sight, when I was a computer system engineer.
There's no way I could ride a motorbike.

[ Technical names ]
fear of confined spaces = claustrophobia
fear of open spaces/crowds = agoraphobia
fear of spiders = arachnophobia
fear of heights = acrophobia

| | |