Friday, June 30, 2006

[Study] Choosing, giving and receiving gifts

The following is a kind of simulation for my review of the English lessons I've taken before.

-Choosing, giving and receiving gifts
(What's the best present you've ever received? What was the occasion?)

[ A, B: Both are women. ]

A: It's Bryan's birthday on Sunday. What should I get for Bryan?
B: I think you should get him a Japanese fan. You know, he's into Japanese culture.
A: That's a good idea. By the way it's my father's birthday on Saturday.
B: Did you get him anything yet?
A: No. I have no idea.
B: I know. I never know what to get for my boyfriend, either.
A: Why are men so hard to shop for?
B: I don't know. Why don't you get him fishing rods or something.
A: Yeah, he's into fishing as you know, but he already has hundreds of rods. I really want to him something different this year.
B: Hundreds of rods!? He seems to be really crazy about fishing.
A: You said it. He has only two hands, but he has tons of rods. Exactly crazy! And my family member have to eat fish everyday in summer due to his hobby. I'm tired of having fish!
B: I think you should get him tickets to go abroad.
A: That's a great idea! He must be happy to get it and we would be happy not to have fish!
B: Yup! That's a good way to get two birds with one stone!
A: If I give him one way ticket, we would be much happier... hehe.
B: You're really a bad girl....


* New Words

certificate
mostly
makeover
nocturnal
voucher = credit ?
clue
stuffed animal
camping gear
refurbishment = similar to rebuild?
impressionist
be delighted with
struggle
be believed to

* Others(Tips etc.)

get him -> gedim(pronunciation)
get her -> geder(pronunciation)
so far so good
In the end, I decided to give her a birthday card.
It's not such a big deal.
go with : The red tie will go with his new suit.
I'll pitch in fifty dollars to buy the present.
invite someone over for .....
I'm believed to be a nice guy, but I'm not. :)

- When giving a gift
Here. This is from all of us.
It's just a little something to say thanks.
It's not much, but I hope you like it.

- When receiving a gift
Can I open it now?
Oh, you shouldn't have!
For me? Wow, thanks!

| |

No comments: