Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Buddhist memorial service

June 13th, 2006

Let me introduce Buddhist memorial services(法事 ほうじ houji) to you.
Most of Japanese people are Buddhists as you know. After someone who is one of our family passed away, we hold some Buddhist memorial services at regular intervals. In Buddhism the late person still exists in this world for 49 days after his or her death. He or she goes to the other world after 49 days, so we hold a memorial service on the day in order to pray that he or she can move to the other world without incident. After that, we hold some memorial services at the prescribed years such as 1, 3, 7, 13 years later. The final service is held 50 years later.
Actually, I went to my wife's parent's home a couple of weeks ago in order to join the memorial service which is held for the late her great-grandmother, who passed away 50 years ago. In Buddhism the last service is sort of a celebration even though it's held for the late person. Because his or her offspring still exist in this world to the point of holding the memorial service, though 50 years have passed by.

I wanted to talk about what I described above in the English school I often take free conversation lessons, but I couldn't do that correctly. So, I've just written down this article to describe Buddhist memorial services next time.

| |

6 comments:

jyuushichinichi said...

Plow7010 San

The entry which you post today is interesting for me and I haven't known yet in details.Though it is a quite short but includes main facts.One question!If someone who didn't have any offspring who would do that memorial services?Close relatives?

plow7010 said...

Hi jyuushichinichi san,

I don't know exactly in that case....sorry. But I guess noboby or his or her close relatives do the memorial services.

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

This is quite an interesting custom. Thanks for sharing. You usually do a great job explaining things!

I am confused about Japanese religious practices. Don't many Japanese consider themselves both Buddhist and Shintoist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto) at the same time? I am not too familiar with either religion (Buddhist or Shinto), but is it correct to say that the Japanese probably believe and practice both in their lives?

I learned about Shintoism while searching for something about the Legend of Zelda video game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_series) (created by Nintendo). Video game players all over the world love the Legend of Zelda stories, and according to sources, some of the stories come from Shinto tales. For example, much of the game play is based on the concept of "warashibe."

plow7010 said...

Hi jd,

I'm not confident to explain exactly, but I'll try it. :)
Nowadays most of Japanese people tend to visit Shito shrines when they make a wish for things in future - such as happiness, good health and growth of their children. On the other hand, they perform funeral-related things in the form of Buddhism.
I hope you understand what I mean. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

I understand exactly what you are saying :) Thanks for the explanation.

plow7010 said...

No sweat, jd...
No, no... I broke a lot of sweat to explain it. haha. Have a good one.