Friday, June 30, 2006

Preparing for exams

June 30th, 2006

My eldest son, a junior high school boy, is in the period of a term-end test. Of course I often try to teach him English. But he sometimes make a terrible mistake. For instance, he wrote a strange composition the other day, "I am my friend." The grammar is correct but the meaning is definitely strange! He might be much funnier than me. :)
Anyway, he has to take three-subject tests a day and the term-end test is going to be executed for 3 days. So he has to take nine-subject tests in total.

I personally think one of the purpose that they take a test is to measure their achievement objectively. But they can prepare for the test on the way of overnight cramming because there are only three-subject tests a day. If I were a person related to education, I wouldn't open the subjects executed on each day in order that students can't prepare for the tests on the way(overnight cramming) and teachers can really get to know more about the skills of their students.
In fact, I hadn't prepared for any exams when I was a junior high school student. My father would often say to me strictly, "Needless to say, you don't need to prepare for any exams if you study on a routine basis, right? So you have to help me in my factory!" Sounds awful.... (ToT)

By the way, I want my children to learn that it's important to concentrate on their study for their future. They will have many chances to get new knowledge in their life, and then have to concentrate on them. From my point of view, preparing for exams is a good way for children to practice the art of concentration.... Wow! I have to focus my English study, too!

| |

No comments: