Saturday, June 03, 2006

English Education

June 3rd, 2006

According to yesterday newspaper, many of Japanese children don't have enough capability of their national language and some subjects. On the other hand, the Japanese government is considering if they should make Japanese children take English education in elementary schools or not, in order to improve the children's English skills. Because the English skills of Japanese children are reportedly very bad.

Studying English early is a good way to learn correct pronunciation. But, in my opinion, it's more important to learn our own culture, custom and history, if children don't have enough skills about those subjects. If children don't know most of them, there's no use speaking English fluently. I personally think that genuine cosmopolitans mostly know their own cultures, customs and histories and have their own opinions, in addition, they can discuss various kind of problems. If the parents of Japanese children want to make their children take English lessons, they should make their children attend private English schools. In short, the Japanese government had better not to start English education in elementary schools. The government have a lot of something else to do.

In my case, I can't speak English fluently but I often try to discuss many problems with native English speakers. Because I have a lot of experience in my study, actual life and business. So our children need to have such backbones before learning English. If they can learn those subjects at the same time, it's OK to learn English early. But most of children can't do that, I suppose.

I hope you understand what I mean. Thank you.

| |

No comments: