Friday, June 23, 2006

Difficult to pronounce

June 23rd, 2006

For most of Japanese people actually it's difficult to pronounce many of English words correctly. Let me introduce some funny stories. :)

One day a former who grows lots of potatoes found out that a foreigner was in his farm and fingered his potatoes. He got angry and shouted out "掘ったイモ、いじるな!(hotta imo ijiruna!)" to the foreigner. The foreigner replied to him, "It's 3 o'clock." Apparently, the pronunciation of his word sounded like "What time is it now?" to the foreigner....

A women got on a train when it wasn't so crowded, so she can sit on any seat easily. She decided to sit on the next to a foreigner, then she asked him if it's OK to sit there. But her English pronunciation was too bad like me. She said to him, "Can I shit here?" He was extremely surprised to hear that, of course. :)

Let me introduce another funny real story which one of my English teacher experienced in a train.
The situation was very similar to the above story. He is good at speaking Japanese, but sometimes makes a few small mistakes. He asked a woman in a train if it's OK to sit there in Japanese. The correct Japanese is "座ってもいいですか?(suwattemo iidesuka?)"; however, he said to her, "触ってもいいですか?(sawattemo iidesuka?)". The word means "Can I touch you?" maybe. She got upset and evacuated from him immediately.
ぎゃははははははは _(_ _)ノ彡☆ばんばん!

| |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... this was one reason why taking Japanese is so fun for English speakers. Our Japanese teacher "butchered*" many English words and phrases, but she was still a kind (shinsetsu) woman.

The students (including myself) also butchered Japanese words, especially words containing ("ra" "ri" "ru" "re" "ro"). The "r/l" in Japanese is not like anything in English.

*butchered = usually used to say that someone has messed up something very badly. I don't know if you have heard this saying.

plow7010 said...

Hi jd,

I didn't know the word "butchered" has such a meaning. Good to know. I knew only the word has the meaning of "meat shopkeeper".

I know a joke, which is "Japanese eat lice everyday" instead of saying "eat rice". :)

I can't pronounce "r/l" correctly, either. It's difficult for most Japanese....