Friday, June 02, 2006

Some idioms of "Throat"

June 2nd, 2006

When you know someone's name but can't remember it, you would say like this:

"What is her name? It's on the tip of my tongue. Joan. Joan Simpson. That's it!"
- LONGMAN Dictionary

In Japan, they say like this:

"What is her name? It comes on the point of my throat.(喉まで出かかっている nodo made dekakatteiru) Joan. Joan Simpson. That's it!"

Actually, I sometimes forget my wife's name....

Me: What's your name? I usually call you "mama". I can't remember exactly, but it comes in my throat.... It starts with a M.....
My wife: Miwa!
Me: That's it! Thank you for your teaching!
My wife: Are you in your second childhood, honey?
Me: It might be true, so I study English not to be in my second childhood. Give me some money to take some more English lessons. hehe.


And also, there's a Japanese idiom with the word "throat".
When you really want something, you would say like this:

"I'm eager to have a new car."

In Japan, they say like this:

"I want to have a new car so much as to come out a hand from my throat."
(喉から手が出るほど、新しい車が欲しい!)
(nodo kara te ga deruhodo atarashii kurumaga hoshii!)

To tell the truth, I wanna have a new wife so much as to come out a hand from my throat! haha. Just kidding.

| | |

No comments: