Thursday, May 11, 2006

[ Study ] Talking about health and lifestyle

The following is a kind of simulation for my review of the English lessons I've taken before.

- Talking about health and lifestyle
(What advice do people give for healthy living and a long life?)

A:I think It's really unhealthy to get stressed out. What about you?
B:Yeah, that's right. I think so, too. Do you have any ideas to relieve your stress?
A:As a matter of fact, my wife and I often get stressed out.
B:Oh, you do ?
A:Yes. So we sometimes quarrel with each other.
B:That's too bad...
A:No, no. Quarreling is kind of the way to relieve our stress. We often try to do that.
B:Your wife and you are exactly a strange couple, I suppose.
A:Strange? If you ask me, I think we are unique!
B:NO! YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY STRANGE!
A:Ah, do you get stressed out and want to quarrel with me in order to relieve it ?
B:......Be my guest... I can't keep up with you.....
A:OK! Let me try to quarrel with you!
B:Have done!


* New Words

underneath
serving
couch potato
asthma
starchy food
somehow

* Others(Tips etc.)

If you ask me, ....(when saying opposite opinions)


| |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

You should open up an English school or at least make some sort of database/English product to sell to other Japanese people!

One suggestion to make the dialogue sound more natural: replace "quarrel" with "fight." Usually you would hear someone say:

"I got in a fight with my wife at the mall (implied: because she's spending too much money on shoes/ being indecisive/ etc.) and she's been giving me the cold shoulder all day!"


Even though "fight" also means like a physical "fist-fight" or something similar.... it is often used to describe problems in relationships, especially between men and women, family members, and friends.

"got into a fight with my girlfriend"
"my wife and I had a huge fight and I think we are going to get divorced"
"I got into a fight with my co-worker about the presentation layout"
etc..

(I don't know if you know what "etc." is.. see here for explanation: http://www.answers.com/topic/et-cetera)

plow7010 said...

Hi jd,

Thank you for your often visiting and understanding my joke.:)
Yeah, I know the meaning of "etc". I often use the word when I give examples to other people. In Japanese language, "等(など)" means "etc".

And also, "ETC" is the abbreviation for "electronic toll collection (system)" developed for highway tollgates control in Japan.