Friday, March 10, 2006

Thanks and farewell Festival(Event)

March 10, 2006

I visited to the public preschool(kindergarten 幼稚園,ようちえん) last Sunday where my daughter attend, in order to take part in an event. Actually, my brother and I used to be its kindergartners when we were little children.
The event was called "Thanks and farewell festival". In fact, the kindergarten is closed this month. It was built 59 years ago, so it's really an aging one. And the number of children in Japan has been decreasing recently, plus there are many private nursery schools these days in my city. In addition, my city has been facing a budget deficit lately... Therefore it's necessarily going to be closed in the near future. I'd like to say to the preschool, "Thanks a lot. Otsukaresama.(お疲れ様,おつかれさま It's difficult to translate the word into English.)"


an event booths

There were so many events there - such as dancing, refreshment booths, and a concert by a brass band consists of young people. They played many children's songs. I was so impressed with their music performance and some choruses of all kindergartners, especially the song "Believe". You can listen to the melody and read the lyrics written in Japanese language on this web page. Should I translate it into English ? But I have no confidence to do it correctly... OK ! Let me translate it into English !

chorusFor example... Whenever you are hurt and feel yourself weakening, I'm surely around you, hold you round the shoulders, and support you...
The earth turns with the wish around the world...
Now, when you open the door toward future,
your sadness and suffering will change to happiness someday.
I believe in future...
I believe...

My translation probably has lots of mistakes, I think....

And now, the preschool is going to be used as a park and an event hall. I was so relieved to hear that. (^o^)

1 comment:

plow7010 said...

Hi momijidi-san,

Yes, you said it. I almost cried to listen to their choruses. :-)