Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Put something on ice, Worn out

March 22, 2006

I've ever studied this phrase, "put something on ice", on en email magazine(newsletter) before. Sounds interesting !

In Japan we say "put something on a shelf(棚上げする, たなあげする)" for the same meaning. In addition, I've just studied the word "shelve" in my dictionary. Wow ! It's similar to the above Japanese idiom ! shelf.... shelve... haha.
The meaning of the word "shelve" looks like the verb "suspend", right ?

I always feel amused whenever I find out such interesting things between English and Japanese. :-)

And also, I've just studied the phrase "worn out" on an email magazine(newsletter).

I'm worn out by my job....

This phrase accurately expresses my current status, I suppose. haha.

Actually, I sometimes read some email magazines(newsletters) on my cell phone in order to study English when the production line in my factory is working well and I have nothing special to do.

| | |

3 comments:

plow7010 said...

Hi momijidi-san:

Sounds similar, I think. I occasionally use the phrase, too.
I've never heard the low voice before. I've just gotten to like the style ! Good to know !

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

I'm glad you are studying more phrases. Here are a few tips to make your English sound more natural (more like a native speaker).

1. Ever vs. Never

"I've EVER studied this phrase, "put something on ice", on en email magazine(newsletter) before. Sounds interesting !"

In the above quotation, do you mean "NEVER" in place of "EVER" ?

I've NEVER studied this phrase. (correct)

You can use EVER, but the sentence requires the negative form of the verb:

I've not studied this phrase ever.
(correct)

OR

I've not ever studied this phrase.
(correct)

2. In a magazine

"I've just studied the phrase "worn out" on an email magazine(newsletter)."

Typically, the preposition "in" is used for this action.

I learned the phrase IN a book/magazine.

"on" is typically not used.

3. I'm worn out by my job....

You can also say:

My job wears me out!

Both are correct.

Or you could even say:

"I've been working like a dog!" (which means you have been working hard... but watch out a Korean might try to eat you, haha).


You are doing a great job with your English, so keep working hard!

plow7010 said...

Hi jd,

Thank you sooooo much ! You're really very kind to me.
All things in your comment are very useful for me ! I'm so glad to get such a considerate comment.
And I can understand your joke, "watch out a Korean might try to eat you." ROFL

Again, thanks for your insight !