Wednesday, March 22, 2006

[ Study ] - Meeting people

March 22, 2006

I've just decided to review all the English lessons which I've ever taken at an English school. Of course I'll have to do it from the start !

The following is a kind of simulation. :-)


- Meeting people I've heard about

Hi, We've never met before, but my name's RUSSELL CROWE. haha. Just kidding. An American English teacher has ever said to me before that I look like Japanese RUSSELL CROWE. If he(Mr. CROWE) heard that, he must get angry. hehe. Anyway, just call me Takashi.
You must be Kazuyoshi's friend Kunihiro. It's great to finally meet you in person ! Kazuyoshi told me so much about you. Yes ! I've heard so much about you ! Eh ? You heard a lot about me, too ??? Nothing bad, I hope ! haha.
Actually, Kazuyoshi is a friend of mine from work. So, how do you know Kazuyoshi ? Eh ? a co-worker ? I used to be one of his co-workers ! So, I hear you're an excellent computer programmer and good at playing the guitar, right ? Plus he tells me you're going to rise to a section manager.

* New Words, tips

in person
mingling at a party
Be confident, yet modest - Accept compliments, but don't brag.
Remember not only names, but also something about the person.

* Others

I wish I were more athletic.
I wish I could have more hair.... haha.
(Good weather).... I hope it lasts.
It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person.
fuel-efficient = doesn't waste gas.

| | |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Plow,

Great dialogue!

Just a side note:

Some Americans might laugh at the usage of “eh” because it is mostly Canadians that say "eh". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eh).

plow7010 said...

Hi jd,

Actually, one of my American friends sent me an email a couple of days ago. He used the word "eh" as a kind of tag question.
For me, the following example sentences sound like the same meaning.

ex.
You're a university student, aren't you ?
You're a university student, right ?
You're a university student, eh ?