Sunday, March 26, 2006

Omiyamairi - Visiting Shinto shrine

March 26, 2006

My new niece was born last month as the second daughter of my younger brother. I've ever posted about this news on my blog if I remember correctly.

Today my brother's family went to a Shinto shrine in order to pray her happiness and good fortune. It's called "Omiyamairi(お宮参り, おみやまいり)" in Japan. It's a Japanese traditional custom for children after they are born.

The grandmother of the child mostly carry them to a Shito shrine with his or her parents. And also, if the baby is a boy, they write the character "大(だい, means big in English)" on his forehead when visiting a Shito shrine so that he grows up greatly. If the baby is a girl, they write the character "小(しょう, means small in English) on her forehead so that she doesn't grow up so big. (Maybe it means to grow up so cute.)

| | |

No comments: