Thursday, March 23, 2006

[ Study ] - Deciding on a plan

March 23, 2006

The following is a kind of the simulation for my review of the English lessons I've taken before.


- Deciding on a plan

A:Maybe we should go get a drink first after work.
B:Sounds good to me, but I'd like to go shopping before going for a drink.
Do you mind going shopping with me ?
A:No, I don't mind. Let's go get a drink after shopping.
B:Yeah !

A:Why don't we go to the restaurant first, and then the karaoke room after dinner ?
B:Fine by me if it's OK with you.
(Fine by me if you're certain.)
(Fine by me if you're sure.)

A:I'd like to see the movie. How about you ?
B:I'd prefer shopping [to seeing the movie, rather than seeing the movie].
(I'd rather go shopping [than see the movie].)
A:Where should we meet after the movie ?
B:How long will you be at the movie theater ?
A:About 2 hours. I expect to see the movie soon. There isn't always a long line.
B:Let's meet back in front of the station at about 3 pm.
A:OK. See you there.

* New Words

I('d) prefer A (to B, rather than B) A,B - nouns
I'd rather A (than B) A,B - verbs
Fine by me if it's OK with you.
Fine by me, if you're certain.
Fine by me, if you're sure.
I don't mind ....(normal)
I wouldn't mind .....(polite)
go for
catch a show
We should leave shopping to last.
meet up
get soaked
In that case, ....
.... on the way out
Say, .......(when you speak to someone.)
What's the time now ? = What time is it now ? = Do you have the time ?
chant
What have you been up to this weekend ?

* Others, tips

"-ish" : when something is hard to describe exactly
with times, colors, and appearance.
- Why don't we meet back here about five-ish ?
- His pants are a kind of blue-ish green.
- Her hair's kind of long-ish.

| | |

No comments: