Monday, November 21, 2005

Butsudan - Buddhist altar

November 21, 2005

Do you know Butsudan ? It means "Buddhist altar" in Japanese.

butsudan
A butsudan is in Buddhists's homes to honor both their ancestors and the deceased recently. Generally, they get and put it in the homes when someone of their family died first.
The Buddhist priest gives a name to the deceased each time someone dies. The name is written on an tablet(ihai in Japanese) - a kind of name plates and the tablet is placed on the butsudan. We often offer rice, tea and flowers on it and pray for the repose of souls.

1 comment:

plow7010 said...

Hi, shay a.
Thanks for your visit again. I'm glad to have your comment.
I'll visit your blog later. I'm drunk a little.... My American friend came to my house today. I drank a lot with him. :-)