Saturday, October 20, 2007

Pun with Yen

Saturday, October twentieth, two thousand and seven

Since I'm Japanese, I've thought "yen" only means the currency in Japan for years. However, I found out another meaning of the word "yen" the other day.
As far as I know, there are many expressions that means "to hope strongly" in English - such as "be eager to", "be keen to", "be anxious to", "crave" and "long" etc. I saw an article written about "yen" has the same meaning as those words last week. That's interesting! Let me make a pun with "yen".

I have a yen to earn a huge amount of yen! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello plow!

This is enu-sung^^. It was a very interesting story. I didn't know before "yen" has a lot of meanings like you said. I am glad to be able to learn a lot about english and japanese in this blog. I look forword to hearing more funny and useful information.

plow7010 said...

Hi enu sung,
I actually have another blog written mainly in Japanese. Click here.
I went get a drink with some native English speakers last night and asked them if the pun makes sense or not. They told me that the word "yen" usually isn't used as "a strong desire." Let me post the story as another article here later!