Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Strange Japanese English skills

I guess this article is maybe amusing and amazing for almost all the native English speakers. :-)

There are a lot of funny things which I found out when I studied by myself at home.
Of course, the articles, which I've already posted on this blog, are funny English, too. :D
Most of the Japanese who have just started studying English often make such the following.

Take a look if you have time.

line

  • A is a native English speaker.
  • B is a funny(?) Japanese who likes studying English.

A: Don't you like studying English ?
B: No ! I like it.
A: (confusing...Which one is right ???? )

B should say : "Yes, I do" or "Yes, I like it."

line

Where are you from [originally] ? - about someone's origin

wrong: Where did you come from ?
correct: Where do you come from ?

line

wrong: She asked a difficult question to me.
correct: She asked a difficult question of me. / She asked me a difficult question.

line

wrong: Open the door of the bathroom.
correct: Open the door to the bathroom.

line

wrong: The metal got red and hot, but (it) didn't get heavy.
correct: The metal turned red and hot, but (it) didn't get heavy.

2 comments:

niltiac said...

Haha, I think these little English problems are funny. When I learned Spanish, I had a lot of similar problems. You seem to be doing really well with your articles.

plow7010 said...

>>Ms.niltiac:

I'm doing well ? Thanks a lot.
But I sometimes(often?) make some mistakes.

For Example:

"When I drove my car..."
I had to write "When I was driving my car ...".

I've already corrected the mistake. :-)