Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Teachers Running

Tuesday, December twenty sixth, two thousands ans six

Do you know "師走(Shiwasu)" means? In Japan, December used to be called "Shiwasu". 師(Shi) means "teachers" in Japanese. "走(wasu)" is also read as "hashiru". "Hashiru" means "run" in Japanese. Most Japanese people tend to be so busy in December, in order to prepare for the new year. And teachers used to be well-respected by everyone in Japan, so most people used to think teachers never run in their lives. That's because big men are apt not to run even if they are so busy. For example, have you ever seen the Emperor running because of his busy job before? Even if you have such a experience, it must be a super rare case. If I saw him running due to his busy job, the scene would knock my socks off.
I mean, everyone is as busy as even teachers must run due to the pressure of work in December. That's why the month used to be called "teachers running(師走)". I wonder if you could understand what I mean.


be apt to do something = tend to do something(?): ~する傾向がある
knock one's socks off: (人)をひどく驚かせる

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know the original meaning of Shiwasu. I am impressed.

knock someone's socks off means surprise someone . How about knock someone's pants off?

plow7010 said...

The original meaning is maybe correct. I've heard of it from my mom when I was young.

"Knock someone's pants"? Ummm... I've never heard of such a phrase before, but it sounds a little lewd. :)

Anonymous said...

osaruno monkichi

you know im in guam and im using his PC.so i can use this page...ummm

oh!! i ran and ran..and finished.im walking and sleeping these days.
However im still woking.im writing message to my students.good teacher huh?
anyway time is fried.

see ya

plow7010 said...

Hey osaruno monkichi,
Thanx your comment from Guam. :)

I know you are one of the most deligent and hardworking teachers on the planet. Don't run so fast. haha.
Best wishes for a happy new year!