Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Branch to Closed

September twenty seventh, two thousand and seven

NOVA, the most biggest private English school in Japan, has a big financial problem now as many Japanese people know. I saw an article in the newspaper, that mentioned the company's future. According to the newspaper, the school was planning to close some branches to slash expenses. I hoped that Kishiwada branch, which I belong to now, wouldn't be shut down. Against my expectation, one of my study buddies, whose name is Hiro*** and who studies English at the same branch, made a phone call the day before yesterday to let me know the branch is going to be closed next month. Holy shit!!! .... Pardon my French. m(_ _)m
Anyway, I have to move to Namba branch or Wakayama branch soon. I'm going to move to Wakayama branch so far. The reason isn't just because it's closer from my house than Namba. Actually I visited there the other day as I've post an article here before. I like the atmosphere in the lesson rooms, the teachers and the stuff. They looked very friendly at that time. Besides there are many amusement spots around there - such as bars, bars, bars and bars.... :D

5 comments:

UltraNEO said...

Sorry to hear your local branch closed.. Last year, when i was in Osaka, I was thinking about joining NOVA as a coach though. Looking back on my decision not to join I'm fairly glad, cause i would be in a sticky situation, now... if I was still coaching there.

To be honest coaching languages for other people really isn't my style, it's not a professional job. However, I'm happy to help friends.

A friend tells me NOVA isn't a GREAT school cause they don't really teach about grammar and the uses of it, is it true?

UltraNEO said...

Oh... I thought about joining GABA, cause they teach English from a oral conversation aspect, which is far more useful.

plow7010 said...

Hi Akira,
Yup, you made a really good decision. :D
Yeah, they hardly teach their students English grammar but I personally think we can study it with books at home. For me, NOVA is a place to practice my English. Actually, I was good at grammar when I was a high school student. So I don't expect English schools to teach me it.
As far as I know, GABA is one of popular schools in Japan. However, the lesson fee is pretty expensive for me. Because they offer one-on-one lessons, it can't be helped that the fee is expensive, I suppose.

UltraNEO said...

There's a niche in the market for teaching people to actually speak, so I imagine most of their clients (students) would be employees in larger companies, who need english conversational skills professionally - i dunno.. i'm just guessing...

plow7010 said...

I suppose most clients are the rich, too. And the client satisfaction level is allegedly very high.